Join us in casting a look here at all that we’ve accomplished together in the first several years of our Bringing the Salmon Home initiative:
- Developed Indigenous-led governance structures, policies and processes to support our ongoing collaborative work.
- Developed a Strategic Direction Framework and implemented workplans.
- The Interim Indigenous Knowledge Guidance Committee met regularly to provide recommendations on the role of Indigenous Knowledge and its formal integration into the organizational structure, policies, and activities.
- The Indigenous Knowledge Counsel was established to provide regular guidance to all of the working groups.
- Developed a multi-year research plan.
- Three technical studies launched, led by the three Indigenous Nations, designed to inform salmon reintroduction feasibility:
- Synthesis and standardization of knowledge around salmon habitat in the Canadian Columbia River.
- Risk assessment for a multi-year salmon reintroduction.
- Learning design for a salmon reintroduction release into the Canadian Columbia River.
Communications and Engagement
- Ongoing outreach to strengthen working relationships with US Tribal Nations, hydro owners/operators, local governments, and other community interests and groups.
- Artists from each Indigenous Nation contributed to the unified design for the Bringing the Salmon Home logo.
- Youth from each of the three Nations were mentored in digital skills to help produce the website.
- Public engagement launched with the successful Bringing the Salmon Home Festival in May 2021; 3,000+ people registered for online events.
- Core communications channels developed including social media platforms and the ColumbiaRiverSalmon.ca website.
- Subscribers have grown rapidly over the past year, including:
- 1,500 e-newsletter subscribers
- 1,200 followers across social media channels
- over 8,000 views of festival videos
- 700+ people and 80 organizations have signed the online Bringing the Salmon Home Supporters list
- Outreach & Engagement Organizers with the three Indigenous Nations are rolling out coordinated activities.
Thank you for your continued interest and support.
~Bringing the Salmon Home: The Columbia River Salmon Reintroduction Team